TB Laboratory Services: 3-tier system
• The peripheral laboratories
– The labs at dispensaries, PHCs, CHCs, referral hospitals, major hospitals, specialty clinics / other sector hospitals / TB hospitals / Medical colleges and in the private/NGO sectors
– These laboratories are covered under quality assurance mechanisms
– large hospitals and medical colleges have facilities of digital X-Ray, rapid molecular test (Cartridge based nucleic acid amplification test -CBNAAT & Line Probe Assay - LPA), Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC), histopathology, and culture & DST for diagnostic services of TB.
• State level- Intermediate reference laboratory (IRL),
– Usually situated in the State TB Training and Demonstration Centre (STDC)
– Monitoring laboratory services across the state
– CBNAAT sites
– DRTB Centres
• Central level
– Six National Reference Laboratories (NRLs)
– External Quality Assurance of Lab network,
– Drug resistance surveillance,
– Training and research.