• Vegetable shortening
• Certain microwavable popcorn
• Some margarines
• Fried fast food
• Bakery items prepared using vegetable shortening, bakery shortening or margarine e.g. cakes, pastries, muffins doughnuts
• Non-Dairy Creamers
Non-dairy creamers are intended to replace milk in hot beverages.
In past, these were prepared from partially hydrogenated oil, but some companies have replaced TFA with healthier oils
• Potato chips
• Corn chips
• Some sweet pies contain trans-fat in the crust. Read the label
• Some brands of pizza may contain TFA especially frozen varieties. Read the label
• Canned frosting: the main ingredients are sugar, water and oil. This oil may be partially hydrogenated one. Read the ingredients in detail even if label mentions ‘0’-Trans-fat.
• Crackers: Industry has been lowering the TFA content of crackers over time. Some brands may still contain them. Read the label
Trans Fatty Acids (Trans fat): http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/trans-fatty-acids-trans-fat
Is there any other source of dietary TFAs?
How to Limit the Intake of Industrial Trans-Fat?
Some Common Foods Containing Trans Fats:
Trans fats in Indian food
Vandana Dhaka & Neelam Gulia & Kulveer Singh Ahlawat & Bhupender Singh Khatkar. Trans fats—sources, health risks and alternative approach - A review: .J Food Sci Technol (September–October 2011) 48(5):534–541
Dariush M. (2021). Dietary Fat. In: UpToDate, post, MW, DS, JG (Eds.)UpToDate. Retrieved on 31st January, 2022, from: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/dietary-fat?search=trans%20fatty%20aci...
Ryder J. W. et al. Isomer-specific antidiabetic properties of conjugated linoleic acid. Improved glucose tolerance, skeletal muscle insulin action, and UCP-2 gene expression. Diabetes. 2001 May;50(5):1149-57. doi: 10.2337/diabetes.50.5.1149
Trans Fats: FSSAI website. Retrieved from: https://eatrightindia.gov.in/trans-fat-free-india.jsp on 5th February 2022 at 11:40 AM
Replace Trans Fats –Free by 2023: NIHFW hosted website. Retrieved from: https://www.nhp.gov.in/healthlyliving/replace-trans-fats-%E2%80%93free-b... on 5th February 2022 at 12:10 PM
Reading the Ingredient Label: What to Look For; Web MD website. Retrieved from: https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/healthy-ingredients on 5th February 2022 at 12:21 PM
7 Foods That Still Contain Trans Fats; Healthline website. Retrieved from: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/trans-fat-foods#TOC_TITLE_HDR_2 on 5th February 2022 at 12:21 PM