Mention its nutritive value per 100gm.
• Proteins—13.3 g per 100 g (an average egg weighs around 60-70 g)
• Fat—13.3 g per 100 g
• Energy—173 kcal per 100 g
• Provides all vitamins except vitamin C
Nutritive value in terms of content per egg weighing 60 g
• Proteins—6 g
• Fat—6 g
• Energy—70 kcal
Why egg protein is called the "reference protein”?
• Egg protein contains all the nine essential amino acids (EAA) and in the right proportion.
• NPU of egg protein is 100.
It is rich in which group of vitamins?
Egg is rich in both fat and water-soluble vitamins except vitamin C.
What is the recommended method for consuming eggs? Why?
It is recommended to cook the egg before consumption. This is because of the following reasons:
• Raw egg white is not assimilated in human gut.
• Raw egg contains “avidin” which prevents absorption of biotin by the body. Cooking destroys avidin.
Mention the criteria of a good egg.
• Water density test—fresh egg sinks to the bottom of water and lie on the side, horizontal to the surface of water.
• Lesser fresh eggs sink but stand at an angle to the bottom.
• Old and nonfresh eggs float on water and should be discarded.
This is because as the egg ages, the air sac inside it grows larger, making it lighter.
1. Park K. Nutrition and health. In: Park's Textbook of Preventive and Social Medicine, 24th ed. Jabalpur, India: M/S Banarasidas Bhanot Publishers; 2017.
2. Gupta RK. Major foods and their nutritive value. In: Vaidya R, Tilak R, Gupta R, Kunte R, editors. Text Book of Public Health and Community Medicine, 1st ed. Pune, India: Dept. Community Medicine, AFMC, in collaboration with WHO, India office, Delhi; 2009: 741-9.
3. Egg-ucation; Benton Franklin Health District. Available at: http://www.bfhd.wa.gov/edu/egguca-tion.php#wdsefiw. Accessed November 30, 2011.
Ghee, Butter and Vanaspati Ghee: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/ghee-butter-and-vanaspati-ghee
Common Vegetable Oils used in India:http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/common-vegetable-oils-used-india
Nutrition in an Egg: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/nutrition-egg
Nutritive Value of Milk: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/nutritive-value-milk
Nutritional Value of Commonly Consumed Nuts: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/nutritional-value-commonly-consumed-nuts
Nutritive Value of Common Dals used in India: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/nutritive-value-common-dals-used-india
Nutritional Value of Common Cereals: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/nutritional-value-common-cereals