Criteria for a Chemical to be Suitable as Water Disinfectant in Water Supplies
A chemical can be suitable for use as a disinfectant in water supplies if it satisfies the following criteria:
1. Should be able to destroy the pathogenic organisms in the water,
• within the contact time available and
• This capability should not be unduly affected by the range of the physical and chemical properties of the water e.g. temperature, pH and mineral constituents
2. Should not leave residues which
• render the water toxic or
• impart colour or
• make it unpotable in any other way
3. Availability should be easy and at a reasonable cost
4. Should have the property of leaving residual concentration to tackle small possible recontamination
5. Should be detectable by practical, rapid and simple techniques, even in small concentrations, to permit regulation of the efficiency of the disinfection
Chlorine satisfies most of the above criteria hence is widely used
Membrane processes in water purification: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/membrane-processes-treatment-drinking-water
Super Chlorination and Break Point Chlorination: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/super-chlorination-and-break-point-chlorina...
Slow sand filter: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/slow-sand-filter-biological-filter
Rapid sand filter: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/rapid-sand-filter-mechanical-filter
Purification of water at a large scale: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/water-purification-large-scale-water-supply
Criteria for a Chemical to be Suitable as Water Disinfectant in Water Supplies: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/criteria-chemical-be-suitable-water-disinfe...
Water Supplies Disinfection with Chlorination: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/water-supplies-disinfection-chlorination
Principles of Chlorination: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/principles-chlorination
Methods of Chlorination in Water Supplies: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/methods-chlorination-water-supplies
Horrock's Apparatus: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/horrock%E2%80%99s-apparatus
Disinfection of well during emergency: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/disinfection-wells-during-emergency-%E2%80%...
Double Pot method: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/disinfection-wells-during-emergency-%E2%80%...
Disinfection of Wells: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/disinfection-wells
OT and OTA test: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/ot-and-ota-test
Domestic or Household Purification of Water: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/domestic-or-household-purification-water