• National Policy for Older Persons (NPOP) 1999 and National Policy on Senior Citizens 2011
• National Programme for Health Care of Elderly (NPHCE), 2011
• Relevant Constitutional Provisions
– The right of parents, without any means, to be supported by their children having sufficient means has been recognized
– Provident funds
– Old age pension
• National Old Age Pension (NOAP) Scheme,
• Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007
– Revocation of transfer of property by senior citizens in case of negligence by relatives.
– Maintenance of Parents/senior citizens by children/ relatives made
– Obligatory and justiciable through Tribunals.
– Pension provision for abandonment of senior citizens.
– Adequate medical facilities and security for senior citizens.
– Establishment of Old Age Homes for indigent Senior Citizens
• The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment focuses on policies and programmes for the elderly in close collaboration with State Governments, NGO’s and Civil Society.
– The programmes aim at their welfare and maintenance especially for indigent elderly, by supporting old age homes, day care centers, mobile medical units etc.
– The International Day of Older Persons is celebrated every year on 1st October
• Help Age India has sponsored the construction and maintenance of old age homes in India.
• The Ministry of Railways provided the following facilities to senior citizens .
-Separate ticket counters for the elderly people at various Passenger Reservation System Centres.
-Provision of Lower Berth Quota – provide in AC and Sleeper Classes.
-Provision of 30 percent discount in all Mails/Express.
-Provision of wheel chairs at stations for the disabled elderly passengers
-Railway grant 75 percent concession to Senior Citizens undergoing major heart/cancer operations from starting station to Hospital station for self and one companion
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare:
• Provision of separate queues for elderly people in governmental hospitals.
• Set up of two National Institutes on Ageing at Delhi and Chennai.
• Provision of Geriatric clinic in several government hospitals
Ministry of Finance:
• Exemption from Income Tax for senior citizens of 60 years and above up to Rs. 2.50 lakh per annum.
• Exemption from Income Tax for senior citizens of 80 years and above up to Rs. 5.00 lakh per annum
• For an individual who pays medical insurance premium for his/her parents or parents who are elderly or senior citizen, deduction of Rs. 20,000 under section 80D is allowed.
• An individual is eligible for a deduction of the amount spent or Rs. 60,000, whichever is less for medical treatment of a dependent elderly or senior citizen.
Insurance Regulatory Development Authority (IRDA) issued some instructions on health insurance for elderly or senior citizens to CEOs of all General Health Insurance Companies
• Several types of insurance schemes for the benefit of elderly people were introduced time to time by several government and private insurance companies
Details of Welfare Schemes for the Aged Persons: Press Information Bureau website, Government of India, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, 19-March-2015 17:04 IST available at: http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=117406 accessed on 31st July 2018
Hindi lecture on CSC taking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvuXrIJ_gY&t=10s
English lecture on CSC taking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKxXIyJuBz8&t=24s
Lecture on the definitions and explanations of terms used in Family Health Study: http://www.ihatepsm.com/resource/terms-used-family-health-study-definiti...
Hindi lecture on the definitions and explanations of terms used in Family Health Study: http://www.ihatepsm.com/resource/terms-used-family-health-study-definiti...
Format for CSC taking: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/format-clinico-social-case-taking-community...
Geriatric CSC taking: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/geriatric-clinico-social-case-community-med...
Modified Kuppuswamy Classification of Socio - Economic Class: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/modified-kuppuswamy-scale
Prasad's Scale: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/prasad%E2%80%99s-scale
Dependency Ratio: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/dependency-ratio
Assessment of Overcrowding in a Household: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/assessment-overcrowding-household
Housefly Breeding Sites: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/checking-fly-breeding-sites-household
Family and the Types of Family: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/family-and-types-family
Checking for Mosquito Breeding Areas in a Household: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/checking-mosquito-breeding-areas-household
Life Cycle of Housefly: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/life-cycle-housefly
Types of Piped Water supply: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/types-piped-water-supply
Reference Indian Adult Man and Woman: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/reference-indian-adult-man-and-woman
Concept of the “Consumption Unit”: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/concept-%E2%80%9Cconsumption-unit%E2%80%9D
Methods of Dietary Survey: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/methods-dietary-survey
24-Hour Recall (Questionnaire) Method: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/24-hour-recall-questionnaire-method
Determination of Socio-economic Status of a Family in a Rural Area (the Uday Pareekh Scale): http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/determination-ses-family-rural-area-uday-pa...
7 Terms used in Maternal and Child Health: Definition and Explanation: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/7-terms-used-maternal-and-child-health-defi...
Terms used in Family Health Study: Definitions and Explanations: http://www.ihatepsm.com/blog/terms-used-family-health-study-definitions-...